Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake

Main Number 801.743.7000

Emergency 911 • Non-Emergency Dispatch 801.840.4000

File a Police Report Online

Unified Police Department of Greater Salt Lake

Main Number 801.743.7000

Emergency 911 • Non-Emergency Dispatch 801.840.4000

File a Police Report Online

Domestic Violence Resources

Domestic Violence

Threaten to hurt you or your children?
Say “It’s your fault” if he/she hits you, then promises it won’t happen again (but it does)?
Put you down in public or keep you from contacting family or friends?
Throw you down, push, hit, choke, kick or slap you?
Force you to have sex when you don’t want to?
Just one “YES” answer means you’re involved in an abusive relationship.
If so, you’re not alone, and you have choices.


Domestic Violence Resources


Make A Plan

Making the decision to leave an abusive relationship can be very difficult. It may take time for you to feel ready. If you are ready to leave:

  • Pack a bag to store with a friend or neighbor. Include cash or credit cards, a change of clothing for you and your children, toilet articles, and an extra set of keys to the house and car.
  • Take important papers such as medicine and prescriptions, ID, birth certificates for you and your children, check book, health insurance cards, legal documents, and Social Security cards or numbers.
  • In case of emergency, know exactly where you will go and how to get a family member or friend to confidentially help you. Call your doctor or go to an emergency room if you think you are hurt.

You should not clean yourself up, clean the scene of the abuse, nor do anything that might alter or destroy any evidence until it has been witnessed, recorded and/or preserved by a officer. Evidence includes: blood stains, hair samples, semen samples, grab marks, bruises, scratches, torn clothing, damaged or tipped over furnishings, alcohol containers, pictures of the victim or surroundings, x-rays, doctor’s reports, and witness statements by you and anyone else who saw or heard the violence.

A victim advocate can refer you to counseling, shelter and other services.


Victim Advocate Contact Program Information

To talk to a department Victim Advocate call:

  • Midvale / White City: Carmen Contreras 385-468-9365
  • Millcreek / Emigration Canyon: Tessa Kohl 385-468-9627
  • Holladay / Brighton: Lisa Kocherhans 385-468-9446
  • Magna / Copperton: Maya Devroom 385-468-9602
  • Kearns: Claudia Clark 385-468-9520

The Domestic Violence Advocate Program assists and supports persons in averting potential or continued domestic violence and promotes public education to enhance awareness, prevention and intervention of Domestic Violence.


Call the Police


When a officer responds to a call and has probable cause to believe a domestic violence crime has been committed, the officer must begin the criminal charging process against the abuser.

The officer must arrest and take the abuser into custody if the officer has probable cause to believe:

  • the abuser may continue to hurt the victim;
  • the abuser has recently caused serious injury to the victim;
  • or the abuser has violated a protective order.

The officer must also arrange for the victim, and any of his/her family members residing with the victim, to obtain emergency housing, shelter and/or medical treatment if needed.

Following the incident, the victim can contact the Records Division (385.468.9755) for a copy of the officer’s report. Victims may receive a free copy of the report depending on state and federal disclosure guidelines.

If the abuser is arrested, the department will attempt to notify the victim if the abuser is released from jail. An abuser may not be released from jail unless ordered by the court, or the abuser signs a statement agreeing to:

  • No contact with the victim.
  • Not threaten or harass the victim.
  • Not enter the victim’s residence or any other place occupied by the victim.

It is a new crime for the abuser to break the terms of release and the abuser can be re-arrested.


How to obtain protective orders

Fill out a Protective Order Petition with the Third District Court (Matheson Court House – 450 South State Street). Legal Aid or a court clerk will assist the victim in this process.

  • Once the petition is filled out, a judge will review the petition and decide whether an immediate (ex parte) protective order should be issued. Legal Aid or the court clerk will then set a court hearing within 20 days at which time both the victim and abuser are to appear.
  • The court will then deliver the order to the appropriate law enforcement agency to have it personally served on the abuser.
  • At the court hearing the judge decides whether to extend the protective order and determines how long it will be necessary.

A protective order can require the abuser to:

  • Immediately leave the victim’s home;
  • Not harm the victim or any other family members;
  • Avoid any personal, telephone, written, or indirect contact with the victim;
  • Stay away from the victim’s employment;
  • Or any other relief necessary for the safety and welfare of the victim or family member.

There is no charge to file the petition, to have a protective order issued, to obtain certified copies of the order, or to serve the order on the abuser.

Persons should be advised that lying to obtain a Protective Order may be considered a felony under the Utah Code. A violation of a protective order is a criminal violation. It is punishable by up to one year in jail and a $2,500 fine.


Services Offered

Document Support:
Advocates can provide assistance to victims by helping them obtain court documents and Sheriff’s Office reports. They also assist investigators with follow-up procedures and advocacy within the criminal justice system.

The Domestic Violence Advocates can provide information and referrals pertaining to victim’s rights, support groups, translation service, counseling centers, and financial support.

Direct Services:
Advocates can attend court proceedings with victims in a support capacity.

Important Phone Numbers

Emergency – Dial 9-1-1

Advocacy Organizations:

Rape Recovery Center   801.467.7282
Child Protective Services Referral Hotline   855.323.3237
3rd District Victim’s Rights Committee   801.238.2360

Crisis Lines:

Domestic Violence Hotline   800.897.LINK (5465)
Sexual Assault Crisis Line   801.467.7273

Emergency Assistance (shelter/food):

YWCA   801.537.8600
South Valley Sanctuary   801.255.1095
Rescue Mission (men)   801.355.1302
Baptist Concern Center (food)   801.972.5708
Bishop’s Storehouse (food)   801.240.7320
Catholic Community Services (food)   801.977.9119

Financial Assistance:

Utah Office for Victims of Crime   801.238.2360
CHIP   888.222.2542
Workforce Services   866.435.7414

Legal Resources:

Legal Aid Society (Main office-divorces)   801.328.8849
Legal Aid (Matheson Court- Protective Orders)   801.238.7170
Protective Orders (West Jordan District Court)     801.233.9740
Utah Legal Services   801.328.8891
Family Justice Center   801.236.3370
Crime Victims Legal Clinic   801.746.1204


Cornerstone   801.355.2846
Trauma Awareness Center   801.263.6367
Sandy Counseling Center   801.944.1666
Valley Mental Health   888.949.4864
Family Support Center (Sugarhouse)   801.487.7778
Family Support Center (Midvale)   801.255.6881
Salt Lake Behavioral Health   801.264.6000

Legal Services (Immigration):

Holy Cross Ministries   801.261.3440

Court Resources:

District Attorney’s Office   801.363.7900
District Attorney’s Counseling Unit   801.363.7911
Adult Probation and Parole   801.239.2100
Salt Lake County Jail   801.743.5500
V.I.N.E.   877.884.8463

Numerous de Servicios en Espanol

Servicios Legales (Immigracion):

Multicultural Legal Center   801.486.1183
Holy Cross Ministries – Sis. Sharlet Wagner   801.908.0293 ext.22

Servicios de Crisis y Communidad:

Centro de la Familia   801.538.0978


Family Support Center   801.255.6881
Cornerstone   801.355.2846