UPD SafeCam program gives you and the Unified Police Department the chance to work collaboratively in solving the crime.
Thank you for your interest in the Unified Police Department SafeCam Program.
As you are aware, crime is a problem which impacts everyone. Fortunately, technological improvements have allowed the wide use of a variety of cameras in both businesses and residential areas. The Unified Police Department is creating a program to help you, the business or homeowner, do your part to deter and detect criminal acts.
How it works:
A business or property owner installs a surveillance system on their property. At this point, the camera likely serves as a deterrent to criminal activity. However, unbeknownst to them, the surveillance system may have recorded criminal activity occurring nearby. The UPD SafeCam program identifies surveillance systems in the area which may have captured the event. An officer may contact the owner and request they search their camera system for anything relating to the crime. If anything was captured, the officer uses this information to help identify the perpetrator.
The UPD SafeCam program broadens the investigative leads available to solve the crime. UPD SafeCam program gives you and the Unified Police Department the chance to work collaboratively in solving the crime.
What UPD WILL do if you are registered in this program:
- 1. Notify you of a crime in your area request you to review your cameras
- 2. If you observe anything suspicious, UPD will follow up on that investigative lead
- 3. UPD will pass that information on to patrol officers and others involved in solving the crime
- 4. Hopefully, the criminal will be identified and apprehended. This might not have been possible without your assistance
- 5. Issue you a window decal to show your participatation in the program
What UPD WILL NOT do:
- 1. “Tap” into your surveillance system
- 2. Ask for any of your vital personal information
- 3. Continuously monitor your surveillance system
- 4. Release any of your information unless mandated by court order
Participation in this program is voluntary and, if enrolled, you may opt out at any time.
How to Register
Complete the following form to register.